Giving 12.1 and Gnome 3 a second chance.


When I started this blog, I intended to make it my step by step log of the trials and fixes experienced in openSUSE so that it may be a benefit to others. However, when I first tried 12.1 with KDE it was such a terrible experience that I rolled my machines back to 11.4. But this time I went with Gnome instead of KDE; since I had experienced some of the speed improvements in the newer KDE I knew that rolling back would make it seem even worse than it really was. And in any event, I needed the experience with Gnome in order to help others. Indeed, I learned the Gnome way and it was good. Brilliant actually, we have a FANTASTIC Gnome implementation. But now, I have recently acquired a new (to me) laptop with which to be a little more risky and experiment on. So, after trying a few distros I have come back to openSUSE 12.1, but this time with Gnome 3. And I must say, it is fantastic.

One thing I feared with Gnome 3 was losing some of the functionality and refinement of Gnome 2 in openSUSE. In our Gnome 2 we had the special start menu made by Novell which was quite handy, giving quick and clean access to programs, documents, and tools. Though of course that menu is not present in 12.1 with Gnome 3, the functionality is not actually lost. In fact, it looks rather like Gnome 3 got some hints from it in its interface. Indeed, with just three clicks I can get to YaST, and the fantastic system monitor that was in the Novell start menu can simply be added to favorites so I can look at my system and kill tasks that freak out. As you may already know, that odd vertical dock in the left hand side of the “Activities” dashboard is called “Favorites.”

Certainly Gnome Shell takes some getting used to. Its a very different sort of interface, and is something of a new paradigm even. When I had tried the preview version made available for 11.4 I found it fairly comfortable on my netbook, but ultimately was put off by the stability issues. Now, that is scarcely an issue. I can of course see a few issues that need some love, but overall its more stable than KDE was when it shipped in 12.1. Quite frankly, I recommend taking a look at the Gnome Help so that you can get a feel for how to efficiently use the interface. And efficient is indeed the achieved goal. At first of course, it seems alien... but for me at least I quickly got the hang of the workflow and found it to be very comfortable. You can quickly take care of business, and do it in style.

Speaking of style, Gnome 3 delivers. Elegant, responsive, simple. The latter two are of particular note. My GPU is an older Radeon that is not supported by the fglrx driver, and thus can have odd behavior. However, you would never know that I wasn't running an Nvidia card. Gnome 3 has caught a lot of guff for its window decoration having only the one button, and indeed this put me off at first; until I realized a double click or a right click can achieve everything I need. At that point it occurred to me that it makes more sense considering how much of what we do on the desktop PC is achieved by a context click... it makes more sense to extend that paradigm to all areas.

Now so far I have sung the praises of Gnome 3. Nonetheless there are a couple things I'd like to see personally. First on my wish list would be to make it possible to move the “Favorites” dock to the bottom of the screen. I like having a good number of things on my dock, and would prefer to not have dinky icons when I have a fairly large screen. Secondly, I'd like to see the Gnome System Monitor accessible via the status menu in the upper left hand corner, by system settings. Thirdly, I'd like to be able to set more IM statuses from the status menu. Other than that, this is a brilliant desktop that satisfies my needs, wants, and does so in style that makes the Mac snobs jealous.

I should make clear mention that apparently all my bad experience of 12.1 boiled down to the KDE regressions. Under Gnome 3, I notice several subtle improvements even over 11.4. With this computer, it has an odd issue that I can't resume WiFI if it has been suspended, and I must reboot it in order to reconnect. In this situation I am very thankful for systemd since it speeds up the boot process by quite a glorious bit. Surprisingly, Gnome 3 seems to perform just as well as Gnome 2 did. In fact, I find it is a bit more responsive than Gnome 2 with 11.4 was. Needless to say, that came as quite a surprise. I know some of this could be coming from the kernel, but can tell it is as much if not more due to the environment.

So far the only two issues that are not necessarily hardware specific are the massive issues with Evolution. I have fallen thoroughly in love with Evolution and am saddened to see it become only slightly more reliable than the newest Kmail. I hope this gets fixed. The other issue is oddity with getting my webcam to work. It worked in Ubuntu (the only thing that worked in Ubuntu I may add, the whole thing was one polished shit sandwich) hence why I don't consider it hardware specific.

If you have been spooked off of Gnome 3, read some cheat sheets and get ready to read the help thingy. You may just like it after all.

Comments

  1. I loved GNOME 3 from the first day I tried it. Actually, I installed the preview in openSUSE 11.4 and upgraded as soon as it hit the repositories. The only issue I've ever had with it is that I think it uses too much RAM.

    I have recently dropped back to LXDE, though. And I don't really miss GNOME 3. At some point I need to have an Evolution / Thunderbird smackdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far Gnome 3 has been acting perfectly for me, with only slight anomalies mostly due to the programs not being ready for Gnome 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gnome 3 sent me running to kde. I think gnome 2 is more polished than kde 4.8.2. I tried gnome 3 multiple times, it made me go back to openSUSE 11.4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the appeal of gnome 3, with the beautiful graphics and all, but it will take quite some puersuasion (or a firm kick in the nuts) to get me off xfce. If there is no real reason to change, i wont. I guess that makes me stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried fedora 16, opensuse 12.1, opensuse 12.4, finally, i went to opensuse 11.4 with gnome 2 now. Many apps have bugs in gnome 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you have used opensSUSE for 1.5 years. I have been using it since 1998. Almost 14 years. I suffered for two months under RED HAT. I tried Suse 5.3 and off it went. I was amazed. Granted, if you have a server farm or the OS down pat and all is running great, yeah, don't change to the newest version when it debuts. If you wait a month or two, the patches will be out and all will be better. I still wish their wireless libraries were better. Darn that Broadcom........

    Master Rod

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I always use GNOME with openSUSE, and I must say its a quite shock the first time seeing Gnome Shell, but now, its just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not like Gnome 3. Went back to 11.4 right away!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read some of the documentation on it, particularly the cheat-sheet and see if you don't wind up liking it after all.

      https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

      Delete
  9. Uso opensuse 12.1 con gnome 3 en mi laptop y desktop y cada vez me gusta mas gnome3, es muy agradable usarlo y no he tenido problemas con el hardware. Umm , usaba antes ubuntu pero no soporto unity. Seguire en Suse por un largo tiempo con mi evolution que funciona muy bien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problems I was having with Evolution were largely resolved once I didn't allow "Online Accounts" to handle my Gmail, and instead set it up manually, with the option to download e-mails for offline use on.

      Delete
  10. i gave it a try 3 times and can NOT get USED to GNOME 3 i have given UNITY a try even though is slow.i am liking it more i will consider LXDE and XFCE. so far GNOME 3 is losing my love everyday Bring back the simple desktop i loved not this HOG and UNSIMPLE GNOME 3 or change it to the DESKTOP THAT SLES USES which i am using right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love openSuse 12.1 x86_x64 Asparagus using Gnome3 (Gnome-Tweak-Tool) and The Extensions availlable for install by oneclick from this adress ;): https://extensions.gnome.org/#page=3
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. To my point of view this is what I call a good article! Do you run this site for your private aims only or you basically exploit it to get profit from it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your insights, opinions, or questions. In that order preferably :p

Popular posts from this blog

Dual Boot configuration for Windows 10 and openSUSE with full UEFI and Secureboot support

From novice to Community Manager